My Favorite Songs—With Cloze and Other Exercises
On this page you will find my favorite songs for ESL classes. The songs are classified by title in alphabetical order. The first file gives you the exercise and the second one the key. The files are in MS Word so that teachers can add translations in their students’ native tongue and other comments.
If there is a suggested video (with or without subtiles), the song is marked with an asterisk. To find the link to the video go to...
We Didn’t Start The Fire - Billy Joel
- Lyrics: A whole US history lesson 1949-1989
The original video tribute a video by the students of professor Allsop tracing the years up to 1989 is unfortunately no longer available in all countries.
However, there are ever so many tributes to this song with photos that remind us of important events or people. Just type something like "We Didn’t Start The Fire - Billy Joel tribute songs" and you will get many.
Some speak of recent history of the 21st century. I can recommend We Didn’t Start The Fire - The New Edition 1979-2013
Here is a lesson plan
- Have your students work in pairs and pick three or four events that they will present to the class explaining the significance of the event or the person they have chosen.
- If you can get the original tribute: a video by the students of professor Allsop
- Otherwise, use other versions
- Billy Joel - We didn’t start the fire (live 1989) Or
- New updated versions of this fabulous songs: