Essential English 04 Can (Pt 1)
This new series is for total beginners or “almost beginners”.
- Podcasts less than 8 min
- Complementary oral practice for an English course
- To use with mobile devices and headphones
- Class work
- Downloadable free of charge from iTunes
- Oral exercises like linguistic gymnastics
- For warm ups
- To master vocabulary and structures
- Scripts are available on each separate page or in a single file for mobile devices
- ZiP file for teachers to open with 7-zip software free at 7-zip.org
Essential English - For Beginners 04 "Can (Part 1)"
Tips for teachers
- First the students learn the verb "can" and practice using the different pronouns. It is always best to give new words in the students’ native tongue to avoid any misunderstandings.
- In pair work they practice "can" with the different pronouns testing each other.
- You introduced the verbs help, show, guide and explain to me/you, and they walk around using these verbs with classmates.
- Then you ask them what they can do well, and give them some personal vocabulary, e.g. ’ I can sing", "I can dance", "I can make cakes", etc.. They practice using this personal vocabulary with a partner.
- Next you work on the question form the same way. First they train with a partner and then with the others.
- Finally, you have them tell each other what they are good at, " I can…" and their partners are supposed to say, “oh you can sing!”, "oh you can dance!”, oh you can make cakes!”, as though they were both surprised and impressed.
- At the end can have the students ask you or their classmates questions like “can you sing?”, “can you dance?” or "can you make cakes?" And they or you will answer "yes, I can…" or No, "I can’t". That will be a short introduction to the negative.
- This last activity should provoke laughter.
- Remember to have the students speak to each other with each team communicating simultaneously and not just to you, the teacher, one at a time.
- Also we sure they switch pairs very often until everyone has worked with everyone else several times.
Script in PDF
Script in DOC